Wednesday, May 7, 2008

“Santa” – Canvas of the Month Club – July, 2004 -- May 6, 2008

Santa” is the July canvas from the Stitching Post’s 2004 Canvas of the Month Club.

Have you ever had a project that is more of a challenge than most? Well this one is mine for this year! I’m not sure when I lost control of this project! :-)

This was kitted by my LNS in 2004. The instructions and the materials were fine. I was able to stitch the border even though it took a while. You stitch a layer of a matte thread for the border. You then stitch over this border with Neon Rays in white skipping stitches which will then be filled in with the red and green Neon Rays. No problem, just a lot of counting. Stitching both whites took a while but adding on the red and green Neon Rays went very quickly. The first picture shows the white matte and Neon Rays stitched with some of the green. The second picture shows all of the red and green Neon Rays. So far so good.





You then stitch Santa in the center. Well the pink of his face took a while but no problem. I then needed to outline stitch and then fill in his hat. Still no problem.

I started this project the weekend ending in March 17, 2008 while visiting a college with my daughter. It’s now well into April and I feel like I’ve been stitching on this piece forever and it’s small! We’ve been very busy with activities and I haven’t had as much stitching time which also added to the feeling that this project was taking forever. Maybe that was the problem. I just wanted to get this one done. :-)

I then started stitching his hat brim but I picked up the wrong thread, Alabaster which is a chainette thread. Now I’m not very found of chainette threads but I do know how to stitch with them and I will use them when a design calls for one. As I was stitching I kept looking at it thinking this doesn’t look right even stopping to ask my daughter what she thought of the Alabaster. Sigh… I should have trusted my stitching instincts and stopped right then and there. Instead I kept on stitching not realizing I should have been using the Fancy Fur for the hat brim and the Alabaster for the beard and mustache. Of course by the time I realized this, it was too late. You can’t rip out a chainette thread and reuse it. Argh!

So off I went this past Saturday to visit my LNS to order more Alabaster. The third picture is of the whole design completed except for his beard and mustache and the hat pompom which will be stitched in Fancy Fur.


Poor Santa has now been placed at the end of the table and he’ll be completed once I receive the Alabaster.

Cynthia
Windy Meadow




5 comments:

NCPat said...

Yippee! And tons of photos! What a lot of work you have done. I need to get busy and do the same and haven't taken time to do it! I will add your new addy to my blog roll on Bspot!

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Oh I know what you mean very well. Been there too and it seems that for whatever reason when you start having problems with a project, something in you seems to trigger a chain reaction and you keep making errors. You then either grind your teeth and forge ahead no matter what or you just put the #@$% project away. That makes me laugh now, but I was not laughing at the time, you can be sure of that.

Pierrette =^..^=

Cyn said...

Hi Pat,

Glad you like the photos and there are lot's more coming!

It's a lot of work moving a blog. I moved all of my entries down to my hard drive and tidied them up there. Then I loaded them up one by one with the pictures. I'm glad that I did this as I know have a copy on my hard drive just in case.

By the way, I write all of my blogs and save on my hard drive now before posting. A lot easier to check for spelling and other glitches! :-)

Thanks for adding me to your blog roll! :-)

Cyn

Cyn said...

Hi Pierrette,

Yes, I was muttering @#$%^ and other comments with this little design! Glad to hear that you too have experienced some of the "joys" of stitching! :-)

By the way, I love reading your blog and I check it daily!

Cyn
Windy Meadow

Whitney said...

Nice post thanks for shariing