Sunday, May 11, 2008

“Holiday Patches” by Susan Kerndt

My current large project is “Holiday Patches” by Susan Kerndt. This was a four day class project from the ANG’s Baltimore Seminar. The design area is a little less than 11” by 11”.

Susan taught us a felt and fabric technique that I had never done before. There are three squares on this design which are actually fabric. You stitch on a layer of felt for the padding and then stitch on a layer of fabric over the felt. You then embellish the fabric with stitches and beads. What fun!

The first picture is what I was able to accomplish while at seminar during the class and in the evenings. When you take a needlepoint class, especially with a large design, you won’t be able to stitch the whole piece in class. The instructor has you stitch the various areas as she explains and demonstrates the stitches and techniques. As you can see, the stitching is all over the design with lots of away knots everywhere! :-)




I continued working on this design when I returned home and had a wonderful time with the stitching. I concentrated first on stitching the areas that I had started in class and the borders. I must admit that right after the Holidays I needed a break from Holiday things and we had a lot going on so I put this project away for about 4 months while I worked on several smaller projects. In our family the kids watch the winter vides during the summer and the summer videos during the winter. They’ve been doing this since they were very small. :-)

I just placed this design back on the table and started stitching again this past week. The picture below is what I accomplished before putting the project away.


Susan was an excellent instructor and the design booklet for this class is wonderful! Its spiral bound so it lay’s very nicely on the table. I was able to pick up this project and start stitching right away.

I’ll keep you posted on this and my other projects.

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

4 comments:

NCPat said...

Wow! Very nice piece and great progress!

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I've been impressed by Susan Kerndt's designs once I saw them in person at the Baltimore Seminar. I don't really liked charted things, but this is very pretty in person. Nice to see it underway, Cyn!

Stitchingranny said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving such lovely comments.

I am tired tonight but have marked your blog to come back and have a better look as you seem to be doing a lot of things i havent seen before.

Cyn said...

Hi,

Thanks for the kind comments!

Susan's designs are wonderful and I'm having a wonderful time stitching this design.

I forgot to mention that this was the first time that "Holiday Patches" was taught.

Helen, thanks for visiting. I'm primarily a needlepoint or canvas stitcher so that's what you'll be seeing on my blog.

I also enjoy stitching the Mill Hill bead kits and I do have a lot of Cross Stitch in my stash that I work on occasionally.

Cynthia
Windy Meadow
Where we are very soggy after over 3" of rain in about 24 hours!