Monday, June 29, 2009

“Monday Memories – The Night Before Christmas MSD #9 JB Stocking” -- June 29, 2009

I stitched “The Night Before Christmas” MSD #9 JB Stocking in the early to mid 1990’s.


"The Night Before Christmas” MSD #9 JB Stocking
Early to mid-1990's
DMC #5 Perle Cotton, Kreinik Braids
Stitches & Threads chosen by Cyn.
Julia Needleworks

Most of the stocking is stitched in Continental and Basketweave stitches using DMC #5. The base of the candlestick, andirons, and the gold on the package were stitched using gold metallic Kreinik braid. The wallpaper stripes were stitched using the Slanted Gobelin stitch. The stripes were stitched vertically and alternated between two shades of blue. The red bricks were stitched using the horizontal Cashmere stitch.

The stocking is about 5 ½” tall by 3 ¾” wide. Blue cording was added around the outside, around the top of the stocking and then forms a hanging loop. The back is blue velvet. The inside pouch of the stocking was finished in red satin.

JB Designs created a different stocking for each stanza of the “Night Before Christmas” poem. In many of the stockings, the same view with the same elements is used such as the fireplace with the wreath above, but was shown from a different distance or from a different perspective.

I was planning on stitching each one of the stockings but was not able to find all of the stockings before the line became unavailable for several years.

I don’t remember the finishing cost, but I do remember that since were young with very young children, I had to carefully consider our budget before sending anything out for finishing. This was truly a luxury!

JB Designs was purchased by Julia’s Needleworks in late 2007/early 2008. The JB Design line became available again during the summer of 2008. You can see the first set of stockings and the second set of stockings on Julia's website under JB Designs.

JB Designs was and still is one of my favorite lines of needlepoint designs!

Thank you for strolling down memory lane with me. I hope you enjoyed seeing my
“The Night Before Christmas” MSD #9 JB Stocking!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

6 comments:

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

That's a great stocking! Lots of stitches packed into a tiny, sweet, little piece of art!

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Cynthia,

You can't help but smile when you look at this charmin Xmas stotcking with Santa's legs hanging down, wondering if he is stuck inside the chimney or not :-)

Pierrette =^..^=

Deb said...

Such a sweet stocking. I think that I remember seeing this design years ago.

NCPat said...

I agree--it is a cutie! You will have to watch stash reductions and see if you can pick up the missing ones!

Yoyo said...

I popped in to see your Totally Useless Conainer for June and see that, like me, you are sometimes late in post it. Not a problem because I love to visit your blog. I love this little stocking it's just too darling. I'm casting a vote in your blog challenge if you haven't closed the voting yet. It's Uncle Sam for me all the way. He's absolutely fabulous and I would love to see him "with pants" in the not too distant future (LOL). But then all your work is lovely so every visit is a pleasure.

Daffycat said...

Awesome finishing!