Thursday, June 11, 2009

“Black-eyed Susans Challenge” -- June 11, 2009

I belong to several ANG chapters including the Black-eyed Susans Chapter. This year the Blacked-eyed Susans have decided to challenge the members of the chapter to share three projects that are partially stitched. The chapter members will then vote on which one of the projects each member is challenged to finish by July, 2010.

I decided to play as I have several, okay stop laughing – Yes, I know I have many not several, candidates! Please let me know which one you think that I should work on first. If you, my wonderful readers, pick a different one than the chapter members, I’ll set a goal to finish both by July, 2010.

First up is “Uncle Sam” by Janet Zickler Casey. I started “Uncle Sam” way, way back at the 2001 ANG Seminar which was held in Washington, DC. He fell by the wayside as I came home from seminar with an awful cold! I pulled him out last summer with the intention of working on him and hopefully finishing him up by the end of 2008. Unfortunately, I ran into a DMC dye lot problem as I have a very noticeable (in person) change in color line running across his left cheek. I’m going to have to undo stitch most of his face to correct the problem. That’s when I ran out of momentum on this particular project. Sigh…


The second candidate is “Anasazi Song” by Carole Lake. I began this project several years ago when I took a class offered by the Black-eyed Susans chapter. I enjoyed working on this project both at the class and at home but I still haven’t finished it. I have to admit that the colors are not what I favor (maybe that’s what I lost momentum) or what we have used to decorate our house even though we live in a south-western style home. Our house is very unusual for a mid-Atlantic home as it’s a large one story home with pink/mauve brick with burgundy shutters. We also have rounded corners on the walls, pot shelves, and almost no wood trim at the doors or windows. Our decorating style is more folk art with some elegance thrown in and very casual. The “Anasazi Song” class was a lot of fun and I would like to finish this project. I would highly recommend taking a class with Carole!


The third candidate is “Avalon” by Susan Reed. I took this as a two-day class with Susan at the 2007 ANG Seminar in Baltimore, Maryland and I haven’t picked it up since. Not because I didn’t like the design but because once seminar was over I went right into all of the school and kid activities and this project was set aside. Susan offered to work up different color combinations if you weren’t excited about the colors used for the example of the class project. I requested red, blues and creams and I liked what Susan put together for me.





That’s all three candidates so please let me know what you think!

So glad that you stopped by and that you are helping me decide which I should stitch for my challenge!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

16 comments:

Front Range Stitcher said...

HI Cyn,
Avalon gets my vote simply because I am not familiar with it and want to see it finished. Also because it looks like the easiest to pick up where you left off. Good luck, they are all great projects.

Unknown said...

I like “Anasazi Song” by Carole Lake, but if you really don't like the colors, you will only put it down again, so I, too, vote for Avalon. I like geometrics. I want to stitch a few myself when more of my UFOs are done.

Anonymous said...

I vote for Uncle Sam because I don't have any "finished" patriotic pieces and every year I promise myself I will get one completed, but so far no luck.

Terry said...

I vote for Uncle Sam as he looks so lonely with no clothes on ROFL

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Cynthia,

Just go with the one that is calling your name the loudest so that you can get some peace and quiet at your house (grinning)

Pierrette =^..^=

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

Like Madonna, I want to see Avalon finished. I saw it underway at the 2008 Seminar and am eager to see how your colors work out.

But really you need to pick up the one you want to learn the most from. That's generally how I pick projects, unless I have a present deadline looming.

Mel said...

Ohh the colours in Anasazi Song are so pretty. that is my vote. but any of them would be just lovely!

Anonymous said...

I vote for Avalon because I'm not familiar with it and would like to see what it looks like finished. -- Marcy

Deb said...

Anasazi Song gets my vote, but primarily because of the colors. I guess Avalon would be my second choice, but all are great projects.

Beth in IL said...

I would work on Uncle Sam, but I have a "thing" for Janet Zickler Casey designs...or you could try Gay Ann Rogers suggestion of stitching 12 stitches on a piece a day. That way something gets done on the piece. I'm too disorganized to do that. Glad to see you posting again. Missed reading your blog!

Jeanne said...

I was going to vote for Uncle Sam until I scrolled down to Avalon. This looks like a lovely piece, and I'd love to see more.

Avalon gets my vote!

Anonymous said...

I vote "Avalon"

NCPat said...

Cyn, I will be the rouge and suggest you rotate stitch on all three! LOL

Kelly said...

I agree with NCPat. I don't know how much time you have to stitch, but try rotating through all three. If you get frustrated with one, you can stop and go to the next one. All of them are great and I can't wait to see what you do with them.

LIZ said...

I vote for Anasazi Song. It looks like it would work up quickly and from your description of your house it looks like it would fit right in!

M&Co. said...

Cyn,

You and I have very similar tastes in things to stitch. Those are all pieces I would stitch. And pieces I would get stuck on for the same reasons.

The Carol Lake piece would probably get my vote as something to finish by 2010. You appear to have the most done on it, and therefore most likely to be successful.