Monday, October 20, 2008

“A Tale of Two Finishes” -- October 21, 2008

I’ve been able to finish all of the stitching on two of my current projects.

Two Happy Dances!

The first one is “Santa” by Cheryl Schaeffer. This was the project for the July, 2004 Canvas of the Month Club from the Stitching Post in Catonsville, Maryland.

When we last left this project… I had admitted to some reading confusion where we learned that I had misread the pattern and I had mixed up the Alabaster and the Fancy Fur threads. Sigh…

I was able to easily pick up more of the Alabaster but I had to order the Fancy Fur from my N-LNS (not local needlework store). Once the Fancy Fur arrived it took several weeks before I could put this project back on the table but now it’s done!

The pompom was stitched with alternating Tent and French Knot stitches. I’m pleased with how it has turned out!

The second finish was the “Peppermint Stripes” stocking by Joan Lohr. This project was the April, 2008 Canvas of the Month Club from the Stitching Post in Catonsville, Maryland. It’s been a while since you last saw this project as it took quite a while to stitch the body of the stocking. The silver and red vertical stripes worked up very quickly. The green stripe is done with the Fern stitch which takes a little longer as I have to carefully lay all of the threads. It’s worth the time and effort as it’s very pretty when it’s done.



I outlined each project with two rows of Basketweave using Splendor S802. This will help with the finishing.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my latest finishes. Thanks for stopping by my blog! :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

10 comments:

Stitchingranny said...

Two very different yet both very pretty christmas finishes. Well done.

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

You are right--Santa's fuzzy ball looks great! Wish I could see the little striped stocking better. It looks so plain in the photo but with such fancy stitches and metallics it must be lovely in person.

Jane, sighing with pleasure in CH and wishing my curent project was done

Napa Needlepoint said...

Love the mini-sock. You're right about Fern, it
such a good stitch but slow.

It's one I tend to forget for long periods.

Keep Stitching,
Janet

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh. I love those two. Thank you for sharing.

Coni said...

Woo Hoo! Two fabulous finishes! Celebration ensues!

Front Range Stitcher said...

Nice job Cyn. Wish I had a couple more stitched ornies finished at this point. I was wondering about the cuff on the stocking. The stitch reminds me one of Father B's that I used but cannot think of the name of it. Woven Stitch? It's very effect. Always enjoy your blog,

Beth in IL said...

Happy dance for you! How is the little ghost coming along? I was thinking about it while stitching a Mill Hill Santa.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I love your work, and you are absolutely correct about the two rows of basketweave for the finishing. I don't have your e-mail, so will respond to your comment on Freebies this way: New update - I bought a set at Target - VERY inexpensive, and I have wet a sample of canvas, poured Sprite on it, and spit on it and rubbed it with my finger - and not a smear, bleed, nothing. It's great!!

Stitch Wizard said...

Oh Cyn your stitching is just awesome and so beautiful! Congrats on your beautiful finishes! Thank you so much for your encouraging words about Strawberry Girl. Gay's directions so far are really easy for me and I am so glad because at first it scared me seeing 70 pages! I love it so far and you are so kind to give me encouragement! Your blog is just wonderful too! Debby :)

Kelly said...

Congrats on the finishes Cynthia! They are lovely.

Kelly